Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The joy of changing your mind often!

I believe in everyday learning, even if that means un-learning and re-learning . While I hold my views on a wide array of topics, I can be easily convinced to alter my views as long as the arguments are valid. For example, I used to hate texting on phones a few years ago when the mobile era was just booming. I complained that messaging is very impersonal compared to calling. But once I was introduced to the power of online messaging and emails, I realised that my earlier opinion was too short-sighted.

Nowadays, people keep in touch with loved ones in far-off lands through free messaging apps. I especially admire 80 year old grandparents who are adept with the usage of smartphones and facebook. Born from a generation when phones were unheard of , to using modern tech gadgets surely takes a constant shift in mindset.

Some people might say that it is important to maintain individuality. But I think that it's even more important to change your mind often, to adopt and adapt and to find joy in this iterative process. Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos says that people who are right most of the time are also people who change their minds often. It is perfectly okay to have an idea tomorrow that contradicts the idea that you held today.

It's easy to live in a world of denial. But to be able to say "Yes,I was wrong" takes courage. So, always be open to new ideas, new points of view, new information and challenges to pre-existing notions! In fact, this trait is essential to survive in a world that's changing so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment