Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Chennai..my city,my home

I am a Chennai-born girl .  I had never lived in any other city until I came to Singapore . Every time I go travelling and come back home, there is a distinctive feel about the city that sets it apart. Maybe because I call it my home , maybe because I have had lovely childhood memories in that place.  I display an overpowering interest when a random person comes and up to me and says he/she is from Chennai.

Chennai merrily straddles the border of modernity and tradition. It's a melting pot of all Indian cultures with people trying to borrow aspects of each tradition. People are simple, down-to-earth and work hard after a dose of filter kapi. Chennai is not a place where one displays a fierce sense of loyalty ,unlike our counterparts in Mumbai or Delhi or Bangalore. We often underplay our affection,mostly because we know its flaws. We know that it will take at least half a decade for it to be on par with the most developed city in the world. We know that we don't have late night parties or metallica concerts, or for that matter, standup comedy because we are too busy laughing at ourselves. We laugh about the crowded streets of T.Nagar, of Cooum river ,of fat policemen ,of Sowcarpet Northies,of TamBrahmin rage in streets of Mylapore and Mambalam .

A lot of Chennai humour is not targeted at outside individuals or stereotypes.It's ourselves that we find the most funny. It's the lighthearted manner of living that makes the city most happy to be in.You will come to Chennai and complain about its hot weather, poor infrastructure and callous maintenance. But you will go back after sharing a laugh about it with someone!

No comments:

Post a Comment