Thursday, April 10, 2014

Chronicles of my FYP Journey

Exactly a year ago, I chose my final year thesis project. As a naive junior year student, I wanted to take up a challenging research project and learn a lot. I was eager to enter the world of Professors, cutting-edge technology, warm research advisors and hours of journal reading, a world which seemed as if it had been forbidden to me for so long. So I mailed a Professor who had an "interesting" proposal that I was very eager to work under him. He *gladly* accepted me!

And so, it began : one year of FYP (Final Year Project) aka 'Face Your Problems' phase of my life. Due thanks to phdcomics , I decided to narrate my journey through these strips!

Phase 1: Literature Review aka The Latin World!


Phase 2 : FYP Monday Meetings aka TGIT(Thank God Its Tuesday) mode!



Phase 3 : Data collection mode aka The Tedious Days!



Phase 4 : No Results phase aka The Incognito Mode


Phase 5 : Stagnant Research aka Procrastination phase



Phase 6 : Panic Mode aka Successful Results phase!




Phase 7 : Thesis writing aka Sleepless nights

 

At the end of this report writing phase, I gave my report to my mom to proof read. She told me exactly this :


Phase 9 : Presentation and THE END!

My thesis submission is done. I just have my presentation to go. Fingers cross on that! I sure hope it doesn't go this way!



It has been quite the ride for the past 12 months. It has been such a bumpy ride that I have decided that research is not my idea of an adventurous journey. It does not help that my thesis supervisor is one of the most friendly advisors I have ever met. If anything, the only awesome lesson in this journey is to have a good mentor and to not give up! Anyway, its all done and all is well that ends well :)

I still have 3 exams to go and 4 more weeks for the end of an era that is University life. Another post on that later!

To end this post on a philosophical note,

"When you think you can, you can! When you think you can't you are right! :P "
 - A great physics Professor!


No comments:

Post a Comment