Thursday, April 10, 2014

A sister's journey through life!

Having a younger sister is like having a best friend for life. Though I am the elder one, my biggest teachings in life are from my sister, a girl who looks more innocent than a puppy but with more wisdom that anybody her age. Born two years younger to me, she is the first person I turn to for any advice. Its not just because she has this amazing ability to listen to anything i have to say but also because she always tells me(ever so obnoxiously!) the truth I need to hear . She is the smartest, cutest and funniest little kiddo in the entire world and I just can’t believe she is turning 19!!

The growing up phase

One of my first memories with little sis was in kindergarten when she used to quietly slip into a nap in the back seat of our auto. I remember her tiny and sleepy most of the time, almost the opposite of what she is now. At that age, I took upon my job as an elder sibling very seriously ; I made her imitate everything I did, literally forced her to play with me when she was too young to understand the rules, gave her an old ragged doll while I took the new pink fluffy one. I was always the mischievous brat while she was(still is) my faithful sidekick. She was the Robin to my batman, the pinky to my brain and the Joey to my Chandler. I used to come up with these crazy ideas and she used to be my testbed, be it eye makeup, revolutionary hair-dos or silly little stories about the world in general. She used to dutifully execute every role i wanted her to. She was the selfless cutie who would give up her nice red crayon for me even if she only gets the ugly black one. She was the only person in the world I could appear cool and grown-up with. Bad school days were made up by having lunch with her under the school banyan tree. We shared everything from dresses to tv shows( those Pogo days!) . At school, it was the cutest thing to see her scurrying for me in a huge crowd while I conveniently chose to ignore her (snorty cool sis eh?).Yet, I clapped the loudest when she won debates or when she came first in class. I used to look out for her when she was not looking to make sure she was ok. I still remember the day when she fell on the ground and her head started bleeding. I was shivering with fear and I immediately took her in an auto to home by myself, the bravest act I have ever done! Thankfully it was just a minor cut and the mini coconut tree that grew in its place was a source of joy and fun to all of us :P 

The mature phase

The dynamics of our relationship completely changed after I started NUS(which I chose to join because of her!). Now we don't fight as often as we used to. Yes, we still argue over the silliest of things: about how clumsy she is or how quick tempered i am. But its back to love doves in 2 min. She sends me the most touching letters that makes me shed truckload of tears. I miss sharing with her the tiny details about my life here. Our career paths are as different as night and day.She is growing up into a pretty young office-going lady managing tough clients! And I am still a student wading through academic projects! Due thanks to the creators of gtalk and whatsapp, we manage to share some funny moments together. Every time we talk, there’s always so much to share and so little time at hand. I miss her and I wish she were here with me. But these things are meant to be. Absence does make the heart grow fonder and the vacations longer! ;)

For many, the elder sister is the role model. But for me, my younger sister is and always will be my greatest role model. The conviction with which she approaches life is unmatched! She is the kind of sister who knows me more than I know about myself. She is the friend who will risk her life to save mine. She is the one person who can take one look at my face and understand my mood. She is the mentor who can give me the best advice for all my problems. She is the one bestie who can crack a joke at how sad my life is and still get away with it :D 

Wherever we go and whatever we do with our lives,she will always be the first person I think of when I close my eyes. Happy 19th Sanju! I can’t thank you enough for being my best critic, my all-time bestie and my laughing buddy !

P.S : Our journey together!

No comments:

Post a Comment